Class timings: 6:30 pm -8 pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays
First meeting: 13th January 2021
Course description:This is an advanced elective course covering recent developments in our understanding of the black-hole information paradox. We will emphasize the broader lessons that puzzles about black-hole evaporation and the black-hole interior hold for theories of quantum gravity. The topics that we plan to cover include the following:
- Hawking's original formulation of the information paradox.
- Paradoxes involving the black-hole interior and the monogamy of entanglement.
- The principle of holography of information.
- Quantum extremal Islands.
- Paradoxes involving large AdS black holes
- Construction of the black-hole interior in AdS/CFT
- State dependence
- Fuzzballs, firewalls, and other proposals for horizon structure
Prerequisites: Quantum Field theory, general relativity, familiarity with black-hole thermodynamics and quantum fields in curved spacetime.
Lecture details: The course will be entirely virtual.
We will have 2 virtual lectures per week starting the week of 11th January and continuing till mid-April. Each lecture will be 1.5 hours. In addition, we will have office-hours/tutorials each week for questions and discussions.
Lecture timings will be fixed later based on the convenience of the students attending.
- Teacher: Suvrat Raju