Instructor: Prof. Subir Sachdev
ICTS Course no.: PHY-431.5
TIFR Course no.: PHY-431.1
TIFR-H Course no.: PHY-431.7
Class timings: Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM (with Friday optional for extra classes)
First meeting: Starting September 1. Classes will run till mid-December.
1. Introduction to the phases of modern quantum materials
2. Boson Hubbard model: superfluids, insulators, and other conventional phases
3. Electron Hubbard model: antiferromagnets, metals, d-wave superconductors, and other conventional phases
4. Mott insulators, resonating valence bonds, and the Z2 spin liquid
5. Gapless spin liquids, and emergent SU(2) and U(1) gauge theories.
6. Kondo impurity in a metal
7. Kondo lattice: the heavy Fermi liquid, and the fractionalized Fermi liquid (FL*).
Violations of the Luttinger theorem using emergent gauge fields.
8. The pseudogap metal of the cuprates: FL* theories
9. SYK model of metals without quasiparticles, and emergent gravity
10. Fully connected random models of strong correlation
11. Quantum criticality of Fermi surfaces
2. Term paper
3. Presentation of the term paper
The percentages are to be decided soon.More details: http://qpt.physics.harvard.edu/qpm
For additional information, TIFR students may contact the local tutors on their campus:
ICTS: Subhro Bhattacharjee
TIFR Colaba: Kedar Damle
TIFR-H: Kabir Ramola